Information regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Many parents and students are worried about how COVID will impact their plans to study high school abroad or go on a student exchange program.
In the Fall of 2020 we placed and hosted thousands of students at our USA high schools, as well as Canada, UK, Ireland and European high schools. These students are having an amazing and safe time in their schools and in their host families or dormitories.
Looking ahead to 2021, the safety of our students is our highest priority, so we will not consider that your child travel without first ensuring that the country is ready to accept international students. We want to confidently let our students embark on their new, exciting adventure, without having to worry.
Updated March 17, 2021
Will it be possible to travel for a high school program abroad in Fall 2021?
Many countries like the USA, Canada, UK, Ireland and European Union countries have allowed for more flexible guidelines when it comes to international students who come for a longer period of time and stay in a fixed place (in comparison to general tourists). Some countries have specific restrictions, please read below.
At the moment we are proceeding as if our high school programs will continue in Autumn 2021, as we were successful in placing students in Fall 2020 in most countries and the vaccination program worldwide is allowing most restrictions to be lightened or lifted. Unless it is 100% clear that the exchange program in a certain country can NOT take place due to governmental restrictions or other outside factors, Educatius Group and its partners will work hard and vigorously to ensure that our exchange students “once-in-a-life-time” dreams will come through. If Educatius Group receives specific information that prevents the exchange program for happening in Fall 2021, we will immediately inform our clients and partners.
Are students covered for COVID-19 by their medical insurance during his or her program?
Yes. The treatment of any accident or illness, including related to COVID-19 that occurs to the international student during his or her program will be covered by insurance, in the USA and all our destinations. If they are not sick, but want to get a test, that is not covered by insurance.
Overall High School Program in Fall 2021
- The USA F-1 High School program and our staff are continuing to prepare for the coming academic season. The vast majority of our USA high school partners are very enthusiastic about welcoming Educatius’ international students.
- The USA is doing a fantastic job with its vaccination program, with about 25% of its population vaccinated as of March 15.
- The USA government has an aggressive plan to reopen school safely by the Spring of 2021.
USA Visas and Travel Restrictions
- As of March 15, several Presidential proclamations suspend and limit entry into the United States, as immigrants or non-immigrants, of noncitizens who were physically present within the following countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. With the positive roll out of the vaccine in the USA we hope that these restrictions will be lifted in the coming weeks.
- Although general tourists from the European Schengen area, United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland), and Republic of Ireland are unable to travel the USA currently, international students traveling on an F-1 or a J-1 visa are allowed to enter the USA.
- Our international students arrive in the United States on a F-1 "Student visa” (with which our students enter the United States). This visa belongs to the “non-immigrant visa” category. Because of this, any possible US immigration restrictions for students from the EU, UK or Ireland do not apply to our program.
USA - Will I need to quarantine?
In the USA, there is a recommendation from the CDC that international travelers should quarantine – what that actually will mean in the worst-case scenario is that students arriving may need to stay at home for 10 days upon arrival. They will generally be able to catch up on their courses online if this is the case.
USA - Do I need a COVID Test?
All travelers entering the USA are required to show proof of a negative COVID (PCR) test taken within 3 days of departure. Details of accepted test types can be found here:
THE UNITED KINGDOM
UK Visas and Travel
Travelers from most countries can enter the UK, with the exception of travelers from “Red Countries” – the updated list can be fund here:
UK - Do I need a COVID Test?
Yes, you must show a negative COVID test taken 3 days prior to departure to the UK. More details on types of tests and results accepted:
UK - Will I need to quarantine?
Yes, you are required to quarantine (isolate at home) for 10 days after your arrival in the UK. For details:
English Tests (IELTS for UKVI)
The updated list of IELTS testing centers can be found here:
UK High Schools
- Schools were re-opened March 8, 2021.
- With the success of the UK vaccination program, the UK is planning a full re-opening of society by June 2021: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56158405
Canada Study Visas and Travel
Currently, international students are able to enter Canada for a high school program on a study permit only, even for semester programs.
Canada High Schools
Most Canada high schools have re-opened for in person classes, although this is handled on a regional basis.
Canada - Do I need a COVID Test?
Yes, you must show a negative COVID test taken 72 hours prior to departure to Canada, if you have a connecting flight to Canada it must be within 72 hours of your flight that enters Canada. It must be a PCR test; the common rapid antigen tests are not accepted. More details on types of tests and results accepted:
You will need to take a test upon arrival at the airport and again within 10 days of arrival
Canada - Do I need to quarantine?
Yes, you are required to quarantine (isolate at home) for 14 days after your arrival in Canada. Students under 18 years old are exempt from the Canada mandatory hotel quarantine, but still must self-isolate at home for 15 days. For details:
Don't see the information you are looking for? Our team is ready to help you. Contact us!