Hi, my name is Gabriella. I'm from southern Italy but now I'm in Ireland for an exchange semester. I left Italy on August 21st, so I've been living in this enchanting country for over a month already but what makes this adventure extraordinary is the fact that you never stop learning from the first day to the last. I tried to think about the things I learnt the first week of my life as an exchange student and I would like to share with you the five most important.
Ireland Classic Programme for EU Passport Holders
Educatius Ireland’s Classic High School programme is for EU passport holders only. A traditional exchange programme, it is the most popular choice among European students.
On the Classic programme, Educatius matches each student with a carefully selected Host Family, location and high school based on their personal profile. Students may be placed in a city location, a charming small town, or a more rural setting.
Our large school portfolio allows us to find the perfect state secondary school for each student. Studying at a state school in Ireland offers our students the chance to study alongside their Irish counterparts following a range of subjects and courses at Transition Year or Leaving Certificate levels. Educatius will always choose the school and subjects on behalf of the student and based on their interests and skills.
Educatius students stay with Host Families in the local community. Host Families are paid a stipend for hosting and Educatius handles the screening, placement, and supervision of Host Families before and during the programme. These families have a strong desire to welcome a foreign student and help them experience Irish culture.
Why Students Love This Programme
• Experience real Irish culture and lifestyles outside of the big cities, though getting to the big cities for day trips is often very easy.
• Excellent education system offering traditional subject options as well as the exciting Transition Year programme.
• Ireland is a safe, family-oriented country – students become part of a close-knit community.
• Opportunity to experience much more of Ireland (and the UK) with our optional Student Trips.
• Flexible requirements and deadlines – we can and do accept bookings after the deadlines.
Who Can Attend?
Our Ireland Classic programmes are open to European students aged 13 - 17 at the start of the school year in August.
Length of Programme Academic Year, Multiple Year, Semester, Term
Minimum English No mandatory English assessment required, though students are expected to have at least an Intermediate level
Academic History Minimum Grade C equivalent in English, Mathematics, and 5 other subjects
Can a diploma be earned? To earn the full Leaving Certificate, students will need to complete the full 2-year programme. All students will receive a transcript at end of studies regardless of length of stay.
Programme Start Date Last week of August / Start of January
Application Deadline Academic Year: 30th June for September admission
Semester/Term: 30th June for September admission OR 15th November for January admission
Nationality EU Passport holders only
Check out our Ireland Academic Exchange programme for a Classic alternative if you don't have an EU passport!
Our Classic Programmes include the following:
• Full-time education in a state school of our choice - our expert placement team spends time studying each application in order to place each student in a school most suited to their particular interests and skills.
• Full-board accommodation in a Host Family - placements can be either single or double (with a student from a different nationality) depending on the size of the house.
• Welfare package provided by our Student Liaison Officers to include an arrival orientation meeting, monthly meetings and reports submitted to the home agency.
• Once-per-term activity or social gathering for all students in the placement area, which is paid for by Educatius Ireland.
• Student pack with handbook, contact telephone numbers, student ID card and small useful gifts included.
• Return airport pick-up and drop-off by the Host Family or Educatius representatives.
Our Classic Programmes do not include the following:
• School uniform when necessary (£100-£150 approx.)
• Transport to and from school
• All extra activities, trips, social events or sports the student wishes to take part in
• Travel/Medical Insurance
• Soft Landing Camp in Dublin for August arrivals