A home away from home
Arriving to the UK and living with a Host Family is one of the most challenging yet rewarding aspect of a High School programme. There are many reasons why a family invites an international teenagers to stay with them. One of the most common reasons is a desire to share their culture and homes with others.
The matching and placement process is of top priority for our team of Student and Host Family Liaison Officers. They work very hard in order to find a host family that provides a high level of pastoral and emotional support for our exchange students.
All students enrolled on the Classic, Select and Private Day programmes can certain of the following:
Host Family Matching and Placement
- Once a school placement has been made the Educatius UK Student Liaison will match the student with a suitable screened host family which allows easy access to school (either by walking or public transport)
Host Family Screening
As part of our wider Safeguarding policy all Educatius UK host families are screened through the following steps:
- Each potential host family is required to complete an in depth application form which encourages them to think about their motives for hosting a student
- Educatius UK staff conduct a home visit where they meet and interview each member of the household living at that address and assess the living conditions due to be provided for the student.
- All host families are subject to reference checks from members of the local community
- Police checks (DBS) on all members of the family over the age of 18 (and all members of the family over the age of 16 if hosting an under 16 year old)
- Registration with the Local Authorities if the hosted student is under the age of 16
- Regular home visits during the placement year by our Student Liaison Officers
How our Families are accepted for hosting
We look for families that are pratically located for the student to get to school and that have the space needed for hosting a student. We look for families that want to host a student because they want to share their way of life and culture with this student. Our families come from all walks of life and may be typical mother + father + child families, or single parents, or no children etc.
What can you expect from a Host Family:
All of our families are expected to provide the following:
- A room with a bed for the student as well as furniture for storing clothing and personal belongings
- A single room, or a double room shared with another international student (never of the same nationality)
- A quiet space for studying and homework
- Breakfast and dinner in the home Monday - Friday with packed lunches provided during the week and all meals at home during the weekend
- Located no further than 45 minutes travel using public transport from the school
- A location in a safe part of the area
- Local support from the Student and Host Family Liason Officer